The Grand Lodge
2017 Scholarship and Essay Contest
The Grand Lodge of the Vasa Order of America offers a full range of COLLEGE or VOCATIONAL SCHOOL SCHOLARSHIPS
Applicants for the above scholarships must have become a Vasa member prior to February 15, 2016.
Applications are available at the Vasa website until January 15, 2017.
To be eligible, the following items must be postmarked no later than February 15, 2017 to be considered.
- Completed application with enclosures MUST be postmarked no later than 15 February 2017.
- Complete "OFFICIAL" transcripts of grades through the first half of the senior year for high school students or fall semester of current academic year for college students.
- Current passport style photo (on photo quality paper, preferably 2”x3”).
- A letter of recommendation from applicant’s Local Lodge with date of initiation.
- Letters of recommendation from two personal references dated 2017.
- A letter of reference from your Dean, Principal, Teacher or Counselor, dated 2017.
- An original, typed essay, not to exceed 1,000 words. Cannot have been submitted in prior years.
Please put in one envelope if possible
Choose an essay subject from the following list:
- What do you consider to be role youth can and should play in Vasa.
- If you have visited a Nordic Country, what was the most impressive element of your visit and why?
- Explain the differences in Nordic music written by Sibelius, Kalle Jularbo and ABBA and which best suits you.
- How would you describe a Nordic folk costume to someone? When and where are the costumes most used today?
- Describe the various economies of the Nordic countries and compare their success.
- Within the Nordic countries, choose what is a most popular tourist attraction, and provide your thoughts on its appeal.
- What Nordic invention appeals to you in being most important to mankind and why have you selected this?
AWARDS ARE PAYABLE TO the institution in which the student is enrolled or accepted for enrollment. To qualify for the College or Vocational School Scholarship, a student needs to be enrolled in an accredited vocational school or institution of higher learning taking no less than six (6) credits per semester or eight (8) credits per quarter in the academic year immediately following the award. In extraordinary circumstances, on petition to the Grand Lodge Scholarship Committee, payment may be postponed for a period not to exceed two years.
Vice Grand Master
31 Vasa Dr.
Hackettstown, NJ 07840
Phone: (973) 426-0776
Watch for next year's announcement in September.